A vegan take on a summer-time classic. This stuff is basically indistinguishable from the real thing.
Here in San Diego, our barbecues and dinner parties tend to include at least a few of those who don't eat animal products,or who have allergies and sensitivities to egg (it's more common than you'd think!). This vegan take on egg salad is the perfect way to include everyone in the deliciousness! I promise, no one will even miss the eggs 🥚➡🥦 = 😋
This recipe is for sharing and makes a bounty of egg-less egg salad!
- 1 PACHA Simple Sourdough Buckwheat Loaf
- Fresh lettuce
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 3-5 stalks of celery
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 c. vegan mayonaise
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3-4 Tbsp capers
- 1/4 c pepita seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop the cauliflower into small (<1cm) pieces.
- Bring a large pot or sauté pan to medium heat. Add avocado oil and chopped cauliflower. Add a few tablespoons of water and cover. Allow to steam, stirring intermittently until the cauliflower is soft.
- Once the cauliflower has cooked, transfer to a bowl and put in the refrigerator to cool for 1 hour.
- While the cauliflower is cooling, mince the onion and chop the celery and red bell pepper into small pieces.
- Slice your PACHA loaf in the Sandwich Slice style. See below! You'll need two squares per sandwich!
- Lay slices out on a sheet tray and toast in the oven at 400℉. Once the tops are golden brown (~5min), flip and toast the other side.
- Once cauliflower has cooled, combine and stir all remaining ingredients in the bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay out your toasted bread slices, and place a few pieces of lettuce on the bottom half. Portion a 1/2c. of cauliflower egg salad onto each sandwich and serve immediately!
- Enjoy 😋